A guide to caring for a dog’s coat – why simply shampooing is not enough.
Do you want to know the secret to returning customers and a successful dog grooming salon? We have all had those dogs who come into the salon looking a little worse for wear, and all you want to do is help them. One of the first things you notice when looking at a dog is their coat, so how do you make sure they leave with a shiny, healthy new coat? Keep reading to find out!
It is important to care for dog’s coats not only for their appearance, but also to help keep on top of their general health and well-being. A glossy, shiny coat is the sign of a happy and healthy dog, so it is definitely something all professional dog groomers and dog owners should be monitoring.
Using shampoo to care for a dog’s coat is great for getting rid of dirt, but only using shampoo is just not enough to keep it in top condition. In this blog post we are going to be talking about the other ways you should be caring for dog’s coats and the products you need in your dog grooming salon.
Caring for dog’s coats
- Regular grooming – Essential for keeping dog’s coats healthy. The frequency of this grooming will differ depending on various factors such as breed, size, coat type and any conditions they may have.
- Brushing – Also varies depending on coat type. Using the right brush helps to remove any loose hair, and spread the dog’s natural oils through the coat for a natural shine. Make sure to remove any knots or matting that may occur, especially common in long-haired dogs.
- Bathing – On average, people tend to visit a dog groomer once a month as this helps to get rid of the bacteria and dirt that builds up. Some breeds may need a more frequent visit but for most dogs, there is no need to bathe more frequently as their skin can become dry and irritated. Educating your customers on how often their dog should be visiting is helpful to them and good for your business as it helps to increase loyalty.
- Condition – Keeping the coat conditioned will help to repair any thin or damaged fur and is a lovely way to end a visit in your salon. Customers will immediately notice how soft their dog feels and this will help to increase repeat business.
- Make it smell nice – One of the top reasons people take their dogs to a professional dog groomer is because they don’t smell their best due to a build-up of dirt and bacteria. Make sure to leave your customers smelling beautiful ready for their owners to pick them up.
As a professional dog groomer, it is important to have the best products in your salon. Which is why we wanted to talk to you about our cruelty free and vegan range of pet care products. You can use all of these products to look after dog’s coats and make your dog grooming business stand out from the rest.
Kwik-Dry K9 Spray (https://www.mutneys.com/shop/kwik-dry-k9-spray/) – this spray is essential after bathing. Simply spritz all over the dog after bathing and leave for 5 minutes before drying. Not only will it reduce static and speed up drying time, it leaves the coat volumized and smelling of our popular ‘Baby” fragrance.
Anti-Tangle Spray (https://www.mutneys.com/shop/anti-tangle-spray/) – Before trimming, it is important to ensure that the coat is completely free of any matting or knotting. Simply spritz our Anti-tangle spray on any problem areas whilst brushing to eliminate knots/matts. Oh, and did we mention it smells like watermelon?!
Leave in Conditioner (https://www.mutneys.com/shop/leave-in-conditioner-spray/) – This is a brilliant product as it doesn’t require any water or rinsing! Simply spray on the coat and comb through, leaving it to work its magic.
Complete Coat Care (https://www.mutneys.com/shop/triple-c-complete-coat-care-spray/) – Finally, our triple C spray is a multi-purpose product that conditions, repairs and reduces static. Simply spray onto the dog as soon as it arrives and brush it through, or use before drying to control static and condition the coat.
The good news is, you can buy our Coat Care Spray Bundle (https://www.mutneys.com/shop/300ml-coat-care-spray-bundle/) which has every one of the sprays we have discussed in one pack!
Simply click the links above to visit our website and find out more about our products.