Which Dog Shampoos are Best for Which Breeds? A Simple Guide
With so many different types of dog grooming shampoos and conditioners available on the market, it is important to choose the best suited ones for different coats and skin types. We thought it would be helpful to put together a guide on which dog shampoos and conditioners suit which dog breeds, so you can give your customers that personalised service.
Types of Dog Shampoo
General Purpose Dog Shampoo
These shampoos are suitable for any breed, coat and skin type. With PH balanced formula, they are mild and gentle, whilst delivering great cleaning properties.
Rescue Dog Shampoo
These types of shampoos have been packed with natural essential oils, specially developed to care for problem coats and skin. This range is great for those more sensitive clients.
These shampoos have been specially developed to naturally enhance and care for a range of specific colours such as Black, White or Brown coats. There are also speciality shampoos available for different coat types such as silky coats and more harsh coats such as Wire Haired Dachshunds and West Highland Terriers.
Sensitive Care Shampoo
These shampoos have been formulated to gently care for delicate skin and coats. These shampoos are specifically great for young and elderly dogs or breeds that suffer with sensitive skin, like Westies, Bulldogs and Pugs.
These types of shampoo are suitable for all breeds and coats, specially developed for use in hydrobaths – bringing a little bit of luxury to bath time. All Mutneys shampoos can be used in hydrobaths, but at double the dilution rate.
Dog Breed Shampoo Guide
We have put together a complete list for you to refer to that includes the specific breeds for each of our shampoos, so you can personalise every treatment for your customers. We have also included the dilution rates so you are using them diluted correctly as this can vary.
- Avocado & Watercress – Suitable for all dogs.Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Pure & Sensual – Suitable for all dogs.Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Orange Zest – Suitable for all dogs.Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Peach & Passionfruit – Suitable for all dogs.Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Furry Godmother – Suitable for all dogs. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Candy Canine – Suitable for all dogs but also great for removing nicotine smell. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Mandarin & Lemongrass – Suitable for all dogs. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Calming Lavender – Suitable for all dogs and great for reducing stress. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Coat Repair – Suitable for all dogs and great for itchy skin/lifeless coats. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Anti-Tangle – Suitable for dogs that need a little conditioner such as Cockers, cavaliers, Cockerpoos and Poodles. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Deep Clean– Suitable for dirty dogs and fox poo rollers. Dilution = 30 to 1.
- Natural Flea– Suitable for all dogs for a general flea treatment. Dilution = 20 to 1.
- Natural Flea – Suitable for all dogs for a heavy flea treatment. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Soothe & Calm – Suitable for all dogs with itchy, flaky skin. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- De-shedding – Suitable for moulting breeds such as Pointers, Boxers, Staffies, Salukis, Collies and Huskies. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- All Black – Suitable for Black dogs such as Labradors, Rottweiler and Spaniels. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Berry Blue – Suitable for White dogs such as Westies, Bechons, Poodles, Cavaliers and Caverchons. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Golden Caramel – Suitable for Brown and Copper dogs such as Poodles, Golden Setters and Golden Retrievers. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Coconut – Suitable for all dogs with silky coats such as Poodles, Cavaliers, Salukis and Afghans. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Dewberry – Suitable for harsh coated breeds such as Wire Haired Dachshunds, Boarder Terriers, Airedales and Schnauzers. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Multi-use Conditioner – A wash out conditioner great for Bearded Collies, Cavaliers and Cockers. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Multi-use Conditioner – A leave in conditioner great for Bearded Collies, Cavaliers and Cockers. Dilution = 20 to 1.
- Satin Conditioner – A wash out conditioner great for Bechons, Lhasa Aspos and Tibetan Terriers. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Puppy – Suitable for puppies for a very gentle clean. Dilution = 20 to 1.
- Hypo-allergenic – Suitable for very sensitive coats that irritate easily such as Westies. Dilution = 10 to 1.
- Hydrobath – Suitable for use in hydrobaths or for a very deep clean in a normal bath. Dilution = 30 to 1.
We do hope you have found this blog post helpful, you can shop our full range of Mutneys shampoo and conditioner here.